- 1 Location Scout Encounter reported!
- 2 First Encounter With a Location Scout
- 3 Location Scout letter (Shaughnessy Lodge) on Flickr – Photo Sharing!
- 4 Law & Order Location Scouting
- 5 Location Scout Story: When Everything Goes Right
- 6 MetaFilter: TV filming at your house?
- 7 Doctorius | Grab Life By the Horns: Dodge Films a Commercial at My House
Location Scout Encounter reported!
Location Scouts typically go door-to-door after a bit of research and some calls / emails when the spec calls for a certain type of neighborhood, house, business, etc. Herein are misc reports of encounters with location scouts by people who may or may not had ever heard the term “location scout” or knew what the title / phrase meant 😉
Location Scout Letter
– wherein a lay-person finds one of our (location scout’s) ubiquitous query letters we leave with people when we are on the hunt for suitable filming locations around a given area. The location scouting requests are often made for very specific aesthetic, visual or logistic / geographic specifications so we look high and low for the locations and often leave the query letters with people who’s closest experience with film production may have been to buy a box of popcorn at the theater 😉
First Encounter With a Location Scout
– dan allen- comedian, poet and scientific philosopher: I think I just lost a $1,000 | June 26th, 2006 | by dan allen
How you ask?
Last Friday I walked up to my house and noticed there was an envelope on my door. At first I thought it was restaurant paper spam, but I realized it was a psuedo-personalized letter.
“Your house has been selected to be in the New York Times fashion editorial. We are fully insured and you will compensated for your time. Please call the number listed below if you are interested.”
Location Scout letter (Shaughnessy Lodge) on Flickr – Photo Sharing!| Uploaded on November 11, 2005 | by bmann
Why the first or second floor? Are they going to jump out of the window?
This was, by the way, taped to the front door of my apartment building this morning.
Law & Order Location Scouting
Thursday night when I came home from work I found this posted outside our apartment building door and there were a bunch more laying inside our door. It’s signed by the Law & Order Location Scout.
Full text of the letter: …read the rest…
See also: Law & Order Filming
Location Scout Story: When Everything Goes Right
Location Scout Story: When Everything Goes Right – House of D | David Mamet likes her house. So what if it’s for a crime? | Written by Nancy De Los Santos | (From the October 2007 issue of “Written By“)
A knock on my front door interrupted my workday late one afternoon. The mail had already been delivered, I wasn’t expecting the FedEx guy, and Jehovah’s Witnesses usually stop by on the weekend. Being a writer with a vivid imagination, I was cautious. I stood behind the white security door, knowing whoever was out there could neither see me in here nor shoot me, at least not with a handgun. But I could see him. A 40ish buttoned-down kind of guy, brown hair, Oxford shirt, khakis. A white guy-a distinctive characteristic in this mostly Latino and Chinese neighborhood.
“Who is it?” I shouted through the door, checking if it was locked. It was. The buttoned-down guy explained that he was a “location scout,” looking for a house to shoot a film scene. Before he could finish his sentence, I told him I wasn’t interested.
A location scout slipped a letter through our mailslot – call him if we’d be willing to let them “rent” our house for the filming of a television show episode. I haven’t called him so I don’t know how much they might pay, or any other details. Have you ever done this? Is it an awful headache? I’m interested in hearing how it worked out for you.
posted by CheeseLouise to home & garden (24 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
People who live in Los Angeles often harbor fantasies of being on television or in movies. Likewise, it is also not uncommon for the homes in which these people live to share the same dream! On Friday, March 7, 2008, my home was given a chance to live this fantasy when part of a commercial for the 2009 Dodge Journey was filmed in my driveway and the street on which my house is located.