Location Scout Marketing Promotions and Online Profiles 3
Location Scout Professional Affiliations
I recently became a new member of two very fine professional organizations:
How Staff Me Up Works
For almost a decade, Realitystaff has proved that the internet really can help you find a great production job, or help you hire great employees. Production Notices has used the power of Facebook to do the same thing. And now, RS and PN are joining forces, and expanding to include every kind of production – TV shows, movies, commercials, music videos, web originals, live events, and more.
Location Scout Urbanalities
Some “busman’s holiday” type location scout photographs… trying make something visually unique and interesting from what are often somewhat often pedestrian objects and environments.
Urban means “related to cities.”
del.icio.us Location Scout
I moved my location scout bookmarks / links off this site to point to my links on del.icio.us | del.icio.us/rrhobbs after several years of trying ways to keep up with the the links I use regularly, to maintain them using various scripts and built in features of WordPress (my site-building tool of choice), that del.icio.us proved to be the most efficient means.
If you are a location scout or need location scouting resources, you may just find some pearls in my links 🙂 in addition to links I bookmark doing work on my websites. I spend more time that might be healthy on the internet doing research (plus I like it- a guilty pleasure of owning a computer…) and have accumulated somewhere in the nabe of
3,000 10,000 links so far- which might make navigating my (or anybody’s) links a formidable task if not for the fact that the links are tagged with regard to keyword or subject… and the pile of links grows daily. At this point a considerable number of links are no doubt changed / dead… I wish delicious.com or a third-party would make an automagical link checker / editor. Netvous has this – one reason why I keep a collection of location scout links there as well.
Why do I continue to use delicious.com? It has a much larger user base than Netvous; until recently, it was a Yahoo property (read: more potential for long-term online presence / stability). delicious.com was sold to a standalone party and Yahoo is looking a bit shaky lately so who knows…?
Delicious (formerly del.icio.us) is a social bookmarking web service for storing, sharing, and discovering web bookmarks. The site was founded by Joshua Schachter in 2003 and acquired by Yahoo! in 2005. By the end of 2008, the service claimed more than 5.3 million users and 180 million unique bookmarked URLs. The site was sold to AVOS Systems on April 27, 2011 and relaunched in a “back to beta” state on September 27 that year.
* shows my join date as 2008 but I really joined in 2006 – at one point doing a rather involved link-cleanup (I’ll spare you the details)… suffice to say I deleted my account and re-joined immediately thereafter.
Location Scout R. Richard Hobbs YouTube Profile
At one time I was maintaining an archive of location scout videos at rrhobbs.org, but that has been moved over to my present site (which you are looking at…) feed (below) shows my videos I have published on YouTube is the now the centerpiece. Please bookmark us to keep up with new videos as I publish them.
Location Scout AgencyScoop Profile
Please check out my profile at AgencyScoop
About Agency Scoop
Agency Scoop was born in January 2009 and has quickly become the largest network for the advertising industry in the world with over 25,000 members from more than 120 countries. Our goal is for AgencyScoop to become the key resource for both students and professionals to develop their career in the advertising industry through networking, sharing work and finding jobs.
Zimbio / Location Scouting / About
location scouting for film photo and video production with a focus on the New York City area
Our mission is to help you become an influential player in how stories are created, shaped and shared.
We enable our contributors to build wikizines – interactive magazines that anyone can create or edit – with coverage of current events, cultural reference points, and niche areas of interest. We make it simple for people to compile the web’s most relevant and dynamic content into easily-searched topics, so readers can find and react to the full story from multiple perspectives.
Location Scout Resource: Ziki + Other Social Networking Websites
ziki.com is one of them newfangled mashup social software web 2.0 thingamajiggers 😉
Honestly, most any social software site has got to be a good thing, there are just so many –
Here are a few things I have learned trying out a number of social software sites:
- Make sure the site itself that functions correctly and is likely to stay online for the foreseeable future especially if there is potential for you to spend a lot of time configuring your profile / settings and maintaining / contributing to the community – many new sites appearing on the internet on a constant basis are beta works-progress, may have been simply built to flip… there are just a lot of things to take into consideration about investing a lot of time (or possibly even money) in a website over which you have no control regarding its actual existence.
- Be careful you don’t duplicate your own content or draw attention away from your own site (if that matters to you) adding your feed(s) or other content from your own site to the social site…not to open an seo can of worms here…
I find Ziki interesting because it allows both a business profile and a personal profile – I had both, but ended up preferring only to have a business profile and what was nice was to be able to delete the personal profile pretty easily.
- Here’s what the Ziki folks have to say about themselves.
- My Ziki Business Profile
Other Social Networking sites of possible interest…
- Twitter Profile Wikipedia
- Tribe Profile Wikipedia
- MySpace Profile Profile Wikipedia +4
- FeedMeLinks (Bookmarking) Profile
- del.icio.us (Bookmarking) Profile Wikipedia +1 +2 +3
- Orkut Wikipedia
- Friendster Wikipedia
- FaceBook Profile (probably have to a FaceBook Member and logged in to view) Wikipedia +2
- LinkedIn (business networking) Profile Wikipedia +1 +2
- Zimbio Profile +1
- Suprglu (feed aggregator) Profile
- Feedbite (feed aggregator) Profile
Of course there are conventional online forums that have been around for some time, in fact even before the internet in the form what now may seem primitive (tho some people may have liked ’em better that way(?) bbs’s.
Several professional / business themed forums I am or have been active in over a number of years are:
No discussion about social websites would be complete with mention of Wikipedia – The Online Encyclopedia. An encyclopedia is not, in and of itself, generally thought of as “social”, however, what makes Wikipedia unique is that it is an encyclopedia comprised of articles authored and edited by its readership. I have begun and have helped edit a number of Wikipedia articles of subjects (such as location scouting) of interest to me.
- +1 mentioned elsewhere on nyc.locationscout.us
- +2 mentioned elsewhere on nyc.locationscout.us
- +3 mentioned elsewhere on nyc.locationscout.us
- +4 mentioned elsewhere on nyc.locationscout.us
- +5 mentioned elsewhere on nyc.locationscout.us
- +6 mentioned elsewhere on nyc.locationscout.us
About Location Scout
I am Location Scout R. Richard Hobbs
- I work in film production, which loosely includes television production, video production and photo production.
- I am also a location manager.
- I am also a photo producer; I take care of all kinds of production details, from estimating and bidding to crewing up a shoot, casting and on-set production coordination.
- I find the interesting back drops, (or locations) you see in movie scenes, tv commercials, televison programs, music videos and corporate videos, as well as in photos used for ads and editorial features in magazines, printed brochures, books and billboards. I also find locations that can be used for various public events, such as art/marketing installations, corporate and personal social events and marketing focus groups.
- I live and have an office in New Jersey, not far from New York City. Living in this geographic situation has allowed me to get to know NYC and allows me to get there and back quickly and also leaves me a lot of freedom to take advantage of the more suburban flavored location resources of NJ and the lower Hudson Valley. Did I mention I love to travel?
- Over the more than 15 years I have been doing what I do, I have accumulated a sizable library of locations that can be used for production, nearly 3,000 at last count as a matter of fact. All the photos are digital and are stored online at www.locamundo.com.
- Location scouting is a somewhat arcane end of the production process and it is tough to say exactly what we do all the time, but we do a lot of different things at different times. What might be doing different under different circumstances. This link may help you understand some of the things we might do. Someties we might “wear several hats”, so to speak and we are always flexible and willing to pitch as needed as long as what is expected of us is understood and agreed upon up front. The bottom line is we always do our best to help you solve your production problems while making an income that affords affords a comfortable lifestyle. Give us a call and let’s see how we can work together!
- Also, here are some FAQS (Frequently Asked Questions) that might help you understand some of what the locations department might be involved with.
- Here is my resume of sorts.
- Please give us a shout and let us help you solve your location challenges!
- Do you own property that would look great on film? Go here.
- Location Scout R. Richard Hobbs – Wayback Machine – Location Scout R. Richard Hobbs – nyc.locationscout.us
…is what this website looked like at various times in the past – for some reason, there are no archives for 2007 but don’t know why?
- *Here is what Microsoft.com looked liked on October 20, 1996.
- *Here is what Apple.com looked like on October 22, 1996.
- Location Scout R. Richard Hobbs – AboutUs.org
- I recently made other posts here, here and here about other places I can be found.
- Location Scout R. Richard Hobbs – Location Library on Locamundo.
- Location Scout R. Richard Hobbs – LinkedIn business networking portal
- Location Scout R. Richard Hobbs – MySpace
- Location Scout R. Richard Hobbs on Facebook
- Location Scout R. Richard Hobbs on Mashable
- Tags are descriptive words or phrases relevant to specific content (posts or pages and the text contained therein) i.e. tag: location scouts / location managers
- Categories are used a bit more broadly in much the same way as tags i.e. category: Location Scout Content
- A “cloud” is a way of styling categories and tags in such a way that the size of the type increases in relation the frequency of usage on the website of a given tag or category.
- Archive of Location Scout Posts, Pages, Tags & Categories contains a tag cloud; categories are presented as an unordered list. There is a category / tag cloud on the Home Page as well.
Location Scout Goes to WordCamp New York
OK I guess this officially makes me a WordPress fanboy but I am really psyched!
I’ll be attending WordCamp New York Sunday October 5th 🙂
WordPress runs this website.
Production Point Preferred Location Scout
I got an invite to become a Production Point Preferred Member, so I followed up on it…not sure what’s in it for moi? 😉
This shiny, new badge did come with the deal!
My Production Point Profile
Location Scout Internet Archives:
I Am Archived – Human Archives Organization
…sort of a “who’s who”…of everybody (…at least anyone who has an “archivist” or wants to do it them self…). Except Human Archives seems to be a bit non-functional at the moment 🙁
…the Wayback machine archives websites by date – you can see what a site looked like at a given point in time in the past.
*(if the images that were used on a site are not still available they are not shown…)
I can be found LOTS of places around the internet- (you could be, too with the application of less elbow grease than you might think;-)
Location Scout & Location Manager R. Richard Hobbs BlogCatalog Profile
…BlogCatalog is more than just a social community for bloggers; we are one of the largest blog directories on the internet. Whether you are looking to search blogs, connect with bloggers, learn more about blogging, or promote your own blog, BlogCatalog is for you.
Location Scout Digg
Find a bit of kewl location scout news? Digg it on Digg 🙂
Digg is a place for people to discover and share content from anywhere on the web. From the biggest online destinations to the most obscure blog, Digg surfaces the best stuff as voted on by our users. You won’t find editors at Digg — we’re here to provide a place where people can collectively determine the value of content and we’re changing the way people consume information online.
Digg is a social news website. Prior to Digg v4, its cornerstone function consisted of letting people vote stories up or down, called digging and burying, respectively. Digg’s popularity prompted the creation of copycat social networking sites with story submission and voting systems. The website traffic ranked 190th, behind one of those competitors, Reddit, by Alexa.com as of December 5, 2011. Quantcast estimates Digg’s monthly U.S. unique visits at 4.3 million.
Location Scout Networking: Photo Plus Expo
starts Today in NYC.
PDN PhotoPlus continues to be on the cutting edge of what’s happening in photography and imaging. Since 1983 we’ve been put on the leading show in the industry – attracting all the exhibitors you want to see and the industry names you want to connect with.
PDN PhotoPlus International Conference + Expo (“PhotoPlus”) is an annual event held at the Jacob Javits Convention Center. Designed for professional and advanced amateur photographers, PhotoPlus displays recent advances in photography through a variety of exhibitions as well as photography and digital design seminars.
Location Scout R. Richard Hobbs MySpace Profile
EVERYBODY’s got a MySpace page, huh?
I wish there was a way to merge MySpace profiles, at some point I created two MySpace profiles, I really only need one.
Myspace (previously styled as MySpace and My_____) is a social networking service owned by Specific Media LLC and pop star Justin Timberlake. Myspace launched in August 2003 and is headquartered in Beverly Hills, California. In August 2011, Myspace had 33.1 million unique U.S. visitors.
Location Scout QRCodes
This unique bar code on the lower right of the sticker (known as a QR code) lets customers – and potential customers – instantly learn more about a business, by visiting a mobile version of the business’ Place Page on any supported phone. Here’s more on how it works and what you can do with it:
Location Scout Categories / Tags Cloud
– Location Scout R. Richard Hobbs – nyc.locationscout.us content is tagged and categorized for the purpose of more efficient archiving and cataloging of same, which is to say the intent is for you, the reader to be able to more easily search for and find useful content on nyc.locationscout.us.